Blog Journal #4

The ELA technology standard that I chose was for the 11-12th grade. The name is LAFS.1112.W.2.6. This standard is essentially what we are doing in this course, by using a blog. It asks us to use technology/the Internet to be able to produce and publish written material, as well as provide feedback and conversation with these products. I feel prepared to implement this standard, as most students nowadays know how to use the Internet, but also because the Internet can be a great platform to write and publish.

I used the CPALMS resources for high school English as well. A resource that I found for students that I would use in my classroom is entitled, "Figurative Language and Its Role in Poetry." This resource evaluates the poems "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud" by William Wordsworth and "Shall I Compare Thee To a Summer's Day" by William Shakespeare. These are two very famous poems that this resource explains the use of language and meaning, specifically metaphor, similie, and personification. I would use this in my class because I love poetry, and explaining students to how to find meaning in poems without making it feel like a chore is important to me.

It is important to be proficient in Internet searching as a teacher, because the Internet has a lot of resources and knowledge that teachers need to be able to utilize. It is also important because students will always have questions that teachers may not know the immediate answer to. The skill that I will use the most is Google advanced searching. The only skill this week that I had not previously known about was the use of symbols in Google search.

Comments

  1. I like that you have a game plan when it comes to teaching and that you plan on incorporating these elements into your class. You are also correct, when you mention that most students know how to use the internet, off course as we learnt from the digital divide we have to be conscious of those who for whatever reason are not as proficient as others, but I too think in the majority of cases the students are familiar and often know better ways to get around sites than we as teachers do. This class is definitely showing us to look at both known tools in a new light but also to be alert to the abundance of level specific education tools we can bring to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment