Blog Journal #3

Copyright are laws to protect an individual’s original material. This includes all intellectual property, including creative work. Fair use are the parameters that allow copyrighted material to be used for nonprofit, educational use. As a teacher developing my own instructional material, I would ensure that any material that I am borrowing is credited and shown to be copyrighted, as well as protecting my own material. As a teacher helping students create their own work, depending on what grade level it is, I would make them aware of the concept of intellectual property and teach them how to properly cite and credit the developers.

Student privacy is a large issue among technology implementations. The material that student share on the internet, whether school work, personal text, pictures, etc, is easily spread and lasts a long time as a “digital footprint.” Privacy is extremely difficult to attain. In my future classroom, if students are required to have a profile or anything, similar to this class, I will allow them to use pseudonyms and teach them about privacy settings. Student privacy ties into cyberbullying. Because of the lack of privacy within technology, students often face cyberbullying, be that because of the material that they have shared or for any other personal reason. It is much easier to be bolder in words through a keyboard, therefore, students are primarily at risk for cyberbullying. By encouraging students to privatize their accounts, this will help curb unknown cyberbullying. I will also talk to my students (if age appropriate) about the lasting impact of words, even through the screen.

The newsletter assignment helped me have a further understanding of Word columns and different textboxes. Moreover, it helped me learn about what should be in a classroom newsletter, what information is relevant, and how to make It easily readable. In the future, if drafting a newsletter, I would likely include more sections and different colors and I would probably use Canva or Adobe which is easier to create moving textboxes and graphics in. However, this assignment will be useful in whatever my future career is in, whether that be a company newsletter or a classroom newsletter.

Comments