Blog Journal #2

Hi everyone!

I have used MS Word since I began regularly using a desktop computer, possibly in fifth grade, but I honestly can't remember! I am the youngest in my family, raised by Boomer parents, so we did not use technology very often, even for school work. Since then, as a Creative Writing major, I have used MS Word for almost everything. I prefer MS Word over Google Docs as well, which is different from many of my friends. I believe this may be due to the ease of formatting and my regular use of Outlook emails. I also appreciate having my apps communicate with each other, so Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote, are all very compatible with MS Word.

The ISTE standards remind me of the Hippocratic oath, more or less. The standards all aim to create a well rounded educator, a promise to the profession, similar to the Hippocratic oath. The standard that is most meaningful to me is the Citizen standard. This standard promotes teachers to instruct students how to positively contribute as well as responsibily live in the digital world, as an extension of the real world. Essentially, this standard means that educators should teach students how to be apart of a community, both socially, ethically, and morally. Though often overlooked, this is extremely important for students, as they are adolescents, learning how to be apart of this world. Educators have a large impact of their students and what kind of person they end up being.

I agree with the label "digital native" for many of today's middle class or wealthy youth. Calling all youth digital natives assumes that everyone has had equal access to technology, which is not the case for the majority of youth in the world, and in the United States, who live under the poverty line. Because of this access, it creates a digital divide between those who are "digital natives" and those who are not, especially those who are the same age. I also believe that the term "digital native" will no longer apply soon, as more digital technology will progress past even those who grew up with computers. However, the differences between "digital native" and "digital immigrants" in the ways that are being discussed in the question, as with all things that someone grows up with, a digital native will find more ease in using technology than a digital immigrant. They also may tend to be more innovative and creative with technology, whereas a digital immigrant may only use technology for what they have learned it to be for. The digital divide is a generational phenomenon, but will also continue to be so, as technology progresses and today's elementary students are using iPads in their classrooms.

Comments